A Mind-Body Approach to Healing Sexual Trauma
Healing Sex is the encouraging, sex-positive guide for all women survivors of sexual assault— heterosexual, bisexual, lesbian, coupled, and single— who want to delight in their own sexuality. While most books on the topic broach sexuality to reassure women that it's all right to say "no" to unwanted sex, Healing Sex encourages women to learn how to say "yes"— to their own desires and on their own terms:
• New! Somatics and Healing Trauma— A new introduction explores developments in the field of trauma and the role of the body as an essential place of change, learning, and transformation.
• New! Updated bibliography and resource section.
• Pleasure and Desire— Discover and fully own your desires on your own terms. Nonjudgmental support for all sexual styles and interests.
• Dissociation— Discover how you “checked out” to survive and how you can “check in” now for healing and your own sexual expression.
• Embodied Sex— Learn how to be in your body during sex.
• Consent and Boundaries— The “yes,” “no,” and “maybe” of sex. How to say “yes” to your desires and develop boundaries to take care of yourself.
• Triggers— Practical tools for healing through triggers while enjoying all the delights and complexities of a fully-embodied sex life.
• Sex Information— Chock full of sex-positive information on all aspects of sexual response, masturbation, and partnered sex, tailored to the needs of survivors.
• Emotional Healing and Intimacy— Don’t settle for less than you want! Grant yourself permission to cultivate pleasure, sexual delight, and love.
“What a terrific book! Every survivor needs this encouraging, down-to-earth guide — and the joy of freely chosen, healthy sexual pleasure.” —Ellen Bass, co-author of The Courage to Heal
"Staci Haines provides a powerful, open-minded guide to untangling sex from the effects of trauma and betrayal...A positive and pragmatic roadmap to lifelong sexual healing." —Publisher's Weekly
"Haines provides a refreshing...all-orientations approach to healing from sexual trauma, explaining concretely the steps while encompassing a wide variety of traumas, and stresses the importance of including pleasurable sex and intimacy as an essential part of the healing process. I read the book and cannot recommend it highly enough for everyone who has survived, or has known a survivor, which is pretty much all of us." —Violet Blue
Staci Haines is a teacher and lecturer in the field of somatics specializing in healing from trauma. She is the founder of Generation Five, whose mission is to end the sexual abuse of children, Her DVD, Healing Sex is available from www.healingsexthemovie.com.